Bangladesh Country Profile (World Bank)
Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature (9 June 1992), ratification (15 April 1994), and entry into force (5 January 1999)
- KP: ratification (22 October 2001) and entry into force (16 February 2005)
- Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: N/A
- Vienna Convention: accession (2 August 1990)
- Montreal Protocol: accession (2 August 1990)
- London Amendment: ratification (18 March 1994)
- Copenhagen Amendment: acceptance (27 November 2000)
- LRTAP: N/A
- Energy Charter: N/A
- Energy Efficiency Protocol: N/A
- Espoo Convention: N/A
- 2030 Pledge: 5% emissions reduction (15% conditional) below BAU by 2030
Federal Laws on Climate Change
- Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (BCCSAP) (2009) [English] regulates programs focusing on six strategic areas: food security, social protection and health; comprehensive disaster management; infrastructure; research and knowledge management; mitigation and low carbon development; capacity building and institutional strengthening.
- The Climate Change Trust Fund Act (2010) [Bengali] is closely tied to the BCCSAP, with 66% of its budget of $100 million reserved for programs in the BCCSAP. The remaining 34% is deposited to accrue interest, and is to be used for emergencies.
- Financial Guideline of Government Projects Under Climate Change Trust Fund (2010) [Bengali]
- The Brick Burning Control Act (1989; revised 2013) [Bengali] aims to maintain air quality by requiring a license for brick burning. It also prohibits the use of firewood in brick kilns.
- National Energy Policy (1995) [English] aims to promote sustainable economic growth by developing energy sources and engaging the public and private sector to participate in the management of the energy sector.
- The Bangladesh Water and Power Development Boards Order (1972) [English] regulates the water and watershed management by empowering the Bangladesh Water and Power Development Board.
Forests and Land Use
- The Forest Act (1927) [English] is a major law that regulates forest resources in Bangladesh. It describes provisions for conservation and protection of national forests as well as some private forests.
- The New Forestry Sector Master Plan (1993) [English] aims to increase the total forest cover in Bangladesh to 20% by the year 2015.
- The Hill District Local Government Parishad Act (1989) [English] details the responsibilities of the Hill District Council subjects to promote, maintain, and improve forest, agriculture, livestock, fisheries, environment, rivers and bodies of water.
Environmental Impact Assessment
- The Bangladesh Environment Conservation Act and Rules (1995,1997) [English] legislate the conservation of environmental systems, the improvement of the environmental standards, as well as its control and mitigation, by providing a framework for implementation.
- National Water Policy (1998) [English, Bengali] aims to manage the use of water resources in a cost-efficient manner and allocate water equitably to the people Bangladesh.
- Environmental Court Act (2010) [English]
National Plans, Programs and Initiatives
- National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) on Climate Change (2005) [English]
- GCCA: The Bangladesh Climate Change Resilience Fund (BCCRF) (Global Climate Change Alliance) (2011) [English]
- Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh) (2009) [English]
- Bangladesh Climate Change Trust (BCCT) (Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh)
- List of Bangladesh Climate Change Trust Activities Projects (Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh) [English and Bengali]
Local, State, and Regional Legislation and Initiatives
- Local Climate Living Adaptive Living Facility (LoCAL) (Global Climate Change Alliance) (2013)
- Climate and Development Knowledge Network Projects (CDKN)
- Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) (2015) [English]
- First National Communication under the UNFCCC (2002) [English]
- Second National Communication to the UNFCCC (2012) [English]
- Climate Change Strategies: Bangladesh (Asia Regional Integration Center)
- National Environmental Policy of Bangladesh: A Critical Review (Rahain Akhtar) (2009)
- A Situation Analysis of Climate Change Adaptation Initiatives in Bangladesh (The Asia Foundation) (2012)
- Reports and Publications (Center for Coastal Environmental Conservation)
- Policy, Law, and Administration for PA Management in Bangladesh (USAID) (2005)
- Mainstreaming climate change resilience into development planning in Bangladesh (Mousumi Pervin) (2013)
Summaries of legislation compiled from Terry Townsend et al., The GLOBE Climate Legislation Study (3d ed. 2013).
Updated as of: March 24, 2016