Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature (13 June 1992), ratification (26 August 1994), and entry into force (24 November 1994)
- KP: signature (27 April 1998), ratification (9 August 2002), and entry into force (16 February 2005)
Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: na
- Vienna Convention: accession (30 July 1991)
- Montreal Protocol: accession (30 July 1991)
- 2020 Pledge: Pledge to deviate from projected business as usual GHG emissions scenarios by implementing a long term economy-wide transformation
Federal Laws on Climate Change
- National Climate Change Strategy 2009 (Spanish) sets country-wide goal of carbon neutrality by 2020 and considers both a national and international plan for mitigation and adaption. The mitigation strategy is three parts, addressing source GHG emissions, carbon sequestration in forests, and development of carbon markets.
- MINAE creating the Voluntary Carbon Market (Ministerial Decree DAJ-62-2012) 10 September 2013 (Spanish) creates a Carbon Board and establishes rules for a domestic carbon market; regulated carbon credits are referred to as Costa Rican Compensation Units (UCC).
- 2013 Biofuels Law 10 July 2013 (Spanish) promotes the expansion of the biofuel industry by creating the National Biofuel Program and requiring that fossil fuels be composed of at least 8 percent biofuels.
- Promotion of Energy Efficiency Act (Executive Order 017) 29 April 2014 (Spanish) directs the leaders of the public and private sector to implement plans of energy efficiency.
- Biofuel Regulation (Executive Decree 35091) 17 March 2009 (Spanish) delegates the authority of regulating the biofuel industry to government agencies and establishes the National Research and Development Bioenergy Policy to ensure sustainable biofuel production.
- Promotion of Energy Efficient Vehicles (Executive Decree 33096) 14 March 2006 (Spanish)creates incentives for the use of hybrid and electric vehicles that rely on clean technology.
- Vehicle Emissions Act (Ministerial Decree No. 25166) 1996 (Spanish) creates fuel economy standards for motor vehicles.
- Regulations on the Rational Use of Energy (Law No. 7447) 13 December 1994 (Spanish) requires the government to establish energy efficiency programs for the private sector and to conduct public awareness campaigns and delegates authority to the Ministry for Natural Resources, Energy and Mining.
- 1990 Energy Law (Law No. 7200) 18 October 1990 (Spanish) outline requirements for energy efficiency and an incentive program for the efficient use of energy.
Forests and Land Use
- 1996 Forest Law (Law No. 7575) 16 October 1996 (Spanish) asserts government responsibility for the responsible and sustainable management of forest resources, creates the Forest Conservation Certificate that compensates landowners for their environmental services, and establishes both the Forest Fund and the National Forest Financing Fund (FONAFIFO).
- Climate Change Department of the Ministry of Environment and Energy
- Ministry of the Environment and Energy
- Ministry of National Planning and Economic Policy
Partnership for Market Readiness (2013). Costa Rica Final Report. Available at: https://www.thepmr.org/country/costa-rica-0
Updated as of: April 20, 2014