Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature (6 June 1992), ratification (23 February 1993), and entry into force (21 March 1994)
- KP: signature (15 January 1999), ratification (13 January 2000), and entry into force (16 February 2005)
Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: na
- Vienna Convention: accession (10 April 1990)
- Montreal Protocol: accession (30 April 1990)
- 2020 Pledge: No pledge made
Federal Laws on Climate Change
- Executive Decree 1815 No. 636 17 July 2009 (Spanish) mandates that the Ministry of the Environment is responsible for the implementation adaptation and mitigation policy, resulting in the creation of the National Strategy on Climate Change, which establishes an Undersecretary of Climate Change.
- Ministerial Accord 089 (Executive) 10 September 2013 (Spanish) creates the National Authority for Implementation of nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs), which requires compulsory NAMA registration for the National Environment Information System.
- Special Edition: Adoption of The National Climate Change Strategy (Ministerial Accord 095 Official Register No. 9) 17 June 2013 (Spanish) set the National Climate Change Strategy as government policy, requiring the Ministry of Environment to update the plan and local governments to submit plans and programs with respect to climate change.
- Creation of an Inter-Institutional Committee on Climate Change (Executive Decree No. 495 Official Register No. 302) 20 October 2010 (Spanish) with the objective of coordinating climate change policies and actions through an inter-sectoral approach that incudes several government ministries. The Committee is tasked with setting negotiating positions for international delegations, advising working groups, and integrating climate change policies into country-wide institutions.
Forests and Land Use
- Ministerial Accord 33 on REDD+ 18 June 2013 (Spanish) establishes the regulations for implementing REDD+.
- National Strategy on Climate Change 2012-2025 (2012)
- Second National Communication on Climate Change (2011)
- National Constitution of Ecuador (2008)
- National Plan for Well Being (2013)
- National Capacity Self-Assessment in Biodiversity, Climate Change and Desertifcation
Aguilar, S. and Recio, E. (2013). “Climate Change Law in Latin America” In Hollo, Kulovesi & Mehling (eds.), Climate Change and the Law. http://www.ambienteycomercio.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/aguilar-and-recio_FINAL-1.pdf
The REDD Desk (2012). Ecuador: An Overview from the REDD countries database (Online). http://theredddesk.org/countries/ecuador.
Viteri, A. (2010). Documento De Análisis Del Sector Forestal En El Contexto De Adaptación Y Mitigación Al Cambio Climático Del Sector Uso De Suelo, Cambio De Suelo, Y Silvicultura (FORESTAL) En El Ecuador. United Nations Development Programme.
Updated as of: April 20, 2014