Status under International Climate Change Law
- UNFCCC: signature (12 June 1992), ratification (7 June 1993), and entry into force (21 March 1994)
- KP: signature (13 November 1998), ratification (12 September 2002), and entry into force (16 February 2005)
Quantified emission limitation or reduction commitment: na
- Vienna Convention: accession (7 April 1989)
- Montreal Protocol: accession (31 March 1993)
- 2020 Pledge: Reduce net deforestation to zero and increase alternative energy to 33 percent
Federal Laws on Climate Change
- National Strategy on Climate Change (Executive Decree no. 086-2003-PCM) 27 October 2003 (Spanish) creates a federal framework that aims to identify vulnerability to climate change and strategies for mitigation and adaptation.
- Organic Law of Regional Governance (Law no. 27867) 18 November 2002 (Spanish) decentralizes environmental regulations, requiring regional strategies for the formulation and implementation of climate policies within the national framework, according to Article 53.C.
Promotion of Investment for the Generation of Electricity from Renewable Energies (Legislative Decree no. 1002) 1 May 2008 (Spanish) prioritizes energy from renewable sources on the power grid and promotes technology and capacity building through government partnerships.
Law to Promote a Market of Biofuels (Law no. 28054) and Executive Decree no. 013-2005-EM) 15 July 2003 and 31 March 2005 (Spanish) promotes investment in biofuels by developing scientific research and encouraging private capital investment, within in the context of rainforest conservation and the Peruvian anti-drug program. The Federal Decree clarifies the definition of biofuels.
Law to Promote Efficient Use of Energy (Law no. 27345) and (Executive Decree no. 053-2007-EM) 8 September 2000 and 23 October 2007 (Spanish) requires the Ministry of Energy and Mining to encourage a culture of and fund projects for energy efficiency. The Executive Order specifies how the Ministry will coordinate efforts at education, generate public campaigns, and create standards for residences and industries.
Forests and Land Use
National Plan of the Conservation of Forests to Mitigate Climate Change (Executive Decree no. 008-2010-MINAN) 15 July 2010 (Spanish) attempts to protect 54 million ha of tropical forests as a means of climate change mitigation.
General Law of the Environment (Law no. 28611) 15 October 2005 (Spanish) provides the general environmental framework for Peru.
Felandro, Isabel, and Jean Pierre Araujo. 2012. Report about the state and quality of public policy regarding climate change and development in Peru: agricultural and forestry sector. La Plataforma Climática Latinoamericana [URL: http://intercambioclimatico.com/en/2012/11/14/the-platform-launches-reports-on-climate-change-policies-in-10-countries/]. Accessed 14 April 2014.
Zegarra, Joanna Kámiche. 2010. Summary of the National Environment. United National Environment Program. [URL: http://sinia.minam.gob.pe/index.php?accion=verElemento&idElementoInformacion=1221]. Accessed 14 April 2014.
Updated as of: April 14, 2014