1) Status under International Climate Change Law
- Not Applicable.
2) Puerto Rico’s Laws on Climate Change
A) Air Protection:
- Selling of CFC’s Act [12 L.P.R.A. §1330-1330(d)]
- Green Building Act [22 L.P.R.A. §1021–1026]
- Net Metering Program Act [22 L.P.R.A. §1012-1018]
- Public Policy on Energy Diversification by Means of Sustainable and Alternative Renewable Energy in Puerto Rico Act [12 L.P.R.A. §8121–8136]
- Note: Repealed the Act to Set Forth the Public Policy on Global Warming in Puerto Rico [Act No. 246 of August 10, 2008]
- Light Pollution Control and Prevention Program Act [12 L.P.R.A. §8031-8038]
- Renewable Energy Development Act [12 L.P.R.A. §416-417]
- Unification of State Forests Act [12 L.P.R.A. §135–140]
D) Environmental Impact Assessment:
- Act for the Protection, Conservation and Management of the Coral Reefs in Puerto Rico [12 L.P.R.A. §241-241(g)]
- Puerto Rico Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling Act [12 L.P.R.A. §1320-1320(u)]
- Sustainable Development Public Policy Act [23 L.P.R.A. §501-508]
- Puerto Rico Sustainable Tourism Development Public Policy Act [23 L.P.R.A. §6313-6325]
3) Secondary Sources
E. Kronk, Effective Access to Justice: Applying the Parens Patriae Standing Doctrine to Climate Change-Related Claims Brought by Native Nations, 32 Pub. Land & Resources L. Rev. 1, 2011.
T. Douthat, “Puerto Rico, You Lovely Island…Puerto Rico, You Ugly Island”: Combating Criollo Sprawl—The Puerto Rico Land Use Plan and Transect—Based Zoning as a Solution to the Island’s Land Use Problems, 76 Rev. Jur. U.P.R. 441, 2007.