Climate Deregulation Tracker
The Climate Deregulation Tracker identifies steps taken by the incoming administration and Congress to scale back or wholly eliminate federal climate mitigation and adaptation measures. The tracker is linked to our database of climate change regulations. Read more →
|2017-02-24||Trump Signs Executive Order on Enforcing the Regulatory Reform Agenda||Executive Order||All||
President Trump signed a new executive order aimed at implementing and enforcing the President’s deregulatory agenda. It calls for the establishment of Regulatory Reform Task Forces to identify regulations for repeal, replacement, or modification, as well as Regulatory Reform Officers to oversee the deregulation process.
|2017-02-08||USACE Issues Easement for Construction of Dakota Access Pipeline||Project approval||USACE||
The Army Corps of Engineers granted an easement for construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, following Trump’s presidential memorandum (Jan 24, 2017) instructing the agency to “take all actions necessary and appropriate” to expedite the approval of the pipeline.
|2017-02-07||House Votes to Repeal BLM Planning 2.0 Rule||Congressional action||BLM||
The House passed a resolution (H.J.Res.44) to overturn the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)’s Planning 2.0 rule using the Congressional Review Act (CRA).
|2017-02-07||Bill Introduced in House to Eliminate EPA Programs||Congressional action||EPA||
Rep. Johnson (R-TX-3) introduced a bill (H.R.958) “to eliminate certain programs of the Environmental Protection Agency, and for other purposes.”
|2017-02-03||House Introduces Bill to Terminate Environmental Protection Agency||Congressional action||EPA||
Rep. Gaetz (R-FL-1) introduced a bill (H.R. 861) to terminate the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
|2017-02-03||House Approves Resolution to Repeal BLM Methane Rule||Congressional action||BLM||
The House passed a resolution (H.J. Res. 36) to repeal the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)’s methane waste prevention rule using the Congressional Review Act (CRA).
Note: agencies listed here include those undertaking actions and those that are affected by actions.
- Interior Department postpones effective date of 2016 rule on coal, oil and gas lease valuations (Feb. 26, 2017)
- Letter from Interior Department explaining decision (Feb. 22, 2017)
- Oklahoma AG releases Pruitt emails on oil industry ties (Feb, 22, 2017)
Pruitt questions EPA’s authority to regulate carbon (Feb. 20, 2017)
- Wall Street Journal interview w/ Pruitt (Feb. 17, 2017) (behind paywall)
- Scott Pruitt Confirmed as EPA Administrator (Feb. 17, 2017)
- Environmental, Consumer and Labor Groups File Lawsuit Challenging President Trump’s Executive Order on Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs (Feb. 8, 2017)
- Trump appoints climate denier Kenneth Haapala to serve on the administration team handling appointments for the U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA (Jan. 31, 2017)